Monday, July 13, 2009

The Learning of Small World Play


Although the acronym "SWP"stands for Small World Play, it also keeps reminding me of Strength-Weakness -Potential. Being a 'graduate' of FTZ (free trade zone) in Bayan Lepas where Pg was also known as the Silicon Valley of the East with factories sprouting over acres of padi fields in the 1970s'... some of the terms I have to keep in mind then: Site of Choice, Good is not good enough when Excellence is expected, SWOT - Strength -Weaknesses -Opportunities -Threats.


I started my world of play in year 2005, not having a good understanding of what play was as I can't remember I really played when I was a child. I was more of a result orientated person, trained in a few US multinational corporations the last 25 years before I decided to take a break and really start to
P L A Y!


So what is really Small World Play after working 4 years with children applying play therapy? I had to scratch my head and thought for a moment... having to go back to basic again in the world of play. The big words on play therapy, sand therapy, art therapy, filial therapy and what other
therapies? For all I need to do is to be authentic, real and congruent when at 'play' with children.
I googled for small world play ... what is it all about? Is it something cooked up by Alex for the CPPD assignment to study play indepth, something simple yet unknown, creating a therapeutic relationship for the child and me. Somehow I managed to google on 'small world play' today while wrapping up the learning. Well I found a link ...at least it is not on Disneyland.

Small World Play http://www.redhen.ie/smallworldplay.htm
Small world play is imaginative play where children are provided with small objects with which to play. This type of play is similar to role play put different in that the child creates the Small World and transfer their thoughts and feelings onto the objects.
The thoughts and feelings then belong to the object not the child. These objects are not "commercially bought toys" and are often made of natural or recycled materials. The materials are open ended and may include the following:
  • wood or cardboard boxes
  • wooden or cloth family figures, vehicles or animals
  • small blocks, shells, stones, seeds, feathers
  • wooden, metal or porcelain bowls, dishes, bottles, cups, trays
  • fabrics: silk, velvet, lace, voile, wool

The objects are often "fragile" and children learn to play in an appropriate manner. The child is provided with a clearly defined private and enclosed space such as at or under a small table or in a small secluded corner. This space provides the opportunity for the child to explore the materials alone or in a small group of two or three children. Types of materials provided are simple and appealing and materials are regularly rotated in order to regenerate interest, and extend or change the direction of play. Children are involved in the swapping of materials and the choosing of new objects which will be incorporated into the small world.

The role of the adult in Small World play is to sit nearby to support and observe the play and to provide sensitive non-intrusive responses.

Woh...gave me an idea to print this write-up in the SWP Toolkit if the team is serious in embarking on it. I'm still keeping the idea somewhere in the heart. Reflected on the toolkit and it seemed helpful for children chronically ill. At least mama or papa can lead them on their Small world play, or mama and papa can experience 'small world play' too having the toolkit...


I started on this module of Small World Play not knowing where I m heading for a moment. Before I realized this is more than just P L A Y, it is CPPD 2009 and I'm signed into it! The assignments are coming, the tutorial sessions, journal in my blog, more reading on resources posted, pose discussions on elagg, mind miester, slide share, google doc.... this is really 'NO PLAY PLAY la!!'

With Dreamadream running parallel with this SWP, I was 'MIA' (missing in action) for a while... I must admit that if not for the committed members in our ALS; Melinda, Seok Binn, I-ling and Phaik Nie I may be struggling to get link up in the different sites. Sia sia - gan en - mei li ter" members. The e-learn part is so advanced, with new tools added. Something different from CPPD 2007.

The team came together on skype and we had 4 lengthy meetings to work on the Mission Impossible from Alex. Assignments were organized among the group members by Melinda. I had my training online there n then from Melinda and I-ling on google doc, mind miester and slide share. Within 2 weeks we did manage to come out with the cook book for SWP. A lot of information was being goggle and posted on Google doc by Phaik Nie, Seok Binn, Melinda and I-ling . I benefitted reading the abundant information which helped me to revise what i have learned and practiced. Thank you beautiful ladies...

Finally came the presentation day for SWP on July 6 2009, where the team stood together to do a face-to-face presentation to a small audience with Alex in Disted College after our class on Therapeutic story. Our charming I-LING was the presenter. A few questions were posed and at some point it made us lost for words..."but not abandoning the ship" as it may seemed to be. I take off my hat to I-ling and Melinda for being 'cool' and explained to their best level... "Ladies u r not alone...we are on this learning experience together and it is such moments that will make us stronger and learn better"...


How would I rate myself in this module?
How much did I learn further to enhance my play skills?
Which area I could have done better?

Where will SWP takes me to?
Who will benefit from SWP?

Why the need for SWP?


The questions can go on and on......whether I find an answer for each one in this learning process and put it to real practice as I continued the journey. This is only the beginning not the end.

I must admit that I did not spent much time in the learning process of Small World Play, trying to understand and compare the difference between play therapy where there is a tool kit of creative items and now it is only small items confined to a tray, a mat or a corner of the room when at play. How can I be creative in the SWP at that very moment and think beyond?

I could have done better participating right from the beginning, having better time management even if I have another project on.


I see the potential in SWP if I will to give it more time and revisit it again, trying it out on myself and others, understanding the strength and limitations.

I find the following Questions as useful guidelines when viewing children small world play: (thanks ALS members for posting it up)


1. Where are the energy spots

2. Where are the trouble/

problems spots?

3. Is there energy that can be

used for resolution?

Indications of a solution?

4. Where is the real self?
5. What kind of groupings are

apparent?
6. What types of problems are

indicated in the small world

play?
7. Are there sources of strength

or help in the small world play?

8. What figures have been used - and how?

9. What are the relationships between figures?

10. What are the dynamic - static natures of the tray?

11. Consider chaotic, empty, organised elements

12. What's been buried?

13. Gut feeling - listen with heart - analyzes with head



Learning is no end, though it may seem simpler than play therapy, yet there is so much of hidden gems if I allow myself to be immerse in it. After all it is being SIMPLE that helps me to see the real small world within me. Finally the journey continues for me to explore further on the unknown...

Be authentic... Be congruent ....
Be simple ...



*My heartfelt thanks to Alex and members of my ALS: Crystal, Cheng, I-Ling, Melinda, Phaik Nie, Seok Binn and special guest Jo for constantly reading and commenting on my blog. Wish all of you well, safe and happy always...

4 comments:

  1. You are very creative and contribute a lot of ideas for mission especially the tool kit for sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Love the images, your reflections and the resources gathered. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,
    Grateful for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read through my blog this morning, reflected on what was written and where am I now? Therapeutic use of stories, another module of the CPPD09 which I am 'struggling initally', however making all the stories over time is fun...so much of untold stories from within, piling up. As I looked at the sandtray i created ABOVE, trying to answer some of the questions: where is the energy spots... I see the outline of a human = the outline of the river... Made me feel I m lying on the river and the land on both sides. For a moment it resembled a burial ritual with petals scattered on both sides, returning back to earth and leading to another new beginning...

    ReplyDelete